Download and Install a driver for USB connection
Install the Software
- The printer should be turned on.
- The USB cable which is connected to the printer should be removed.
- Kindly download and install the driver from our website.
- Choose a method to identify your printer if you are instructed and then follow the instructions to complete the installation process.
- Choose Download next to the full feature driver (suggested), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.
USB connection to the computer
The software and driver for your printer can be installed using a USB cable. During the installation, make sure to set USB as the connection type when prompted.
- Switch on your printer and ensure that it is not connected to your computer via USB.
- If your printer is connected to the computer via USB remove the cable and ensure that there are no other programs running.
- Log in to our customer support webpage and download the software using the instructions displayed on screen.
- If necessary, type in your printer’s model number in the required field to identify your printer model and proceed to download the software.
- Choose between Basic Drivers and Full Feature Drivers and proceed to download accordingly.
Follow the steps given below to troubleshoot if the name of your printer is not displayed during the installation.
- Try restarting your printer and computer. This can resolve many existing errors.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect your printer. Wait for some time reconnect the USB cable.
- Try connecting the cable to a different USB port on your computer.
- If the problem persists, change the USB cable.
- Please note that the computer cannot provide sufficient power if multiple devices are connected to it at the same time. If several devices are connected to your computer,remove those that are not in use.
- Multiple drivers may be displayed while installing a driver for your printer Based on the printer model you use certain drivers may not be listed.
- Check for your required driver and if the option to Download is not available under Driver-Product Installation Software and select More Details and follow the instructions given on screen to install.
If Your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer is not found or connected during the installation process
- Try these procedures to help troubleshoot and avoid USB connectivity problems.
- Restart your printer and the computer : Restarting the computer and the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer can clear possible error conditions.
- Reconnect the cable : Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from the HP printer and the computer.
- Connect to a different USB port : Plug the cable into a different USB port on the computer.
- Disconnect from a USB hub or docking station : If you are using a USB hub or docking station, try connecting the USB cable directly to your computer.
- Try a different USB cable : Use a different USB cable. HP supports USB cables less than 3 m in length.
- Disconnect other USB devices : If you have several USB-connected devices, such as another printer, the computer might not have sufficient power supplied to the USB ports to detect all of them. Unplug any other USB devices that are not in use.
Our HP Technical Support Team is available to answer all your printer setup & installation related queries. Call us on our Toll-Free number 1-844-968-2988.